Common Household Items that Can Cause a Fire You never want to smell smoke in your home and realize there’s a fire. That’s why it is important to be diligent about fire safety. Experts recommend that homeowners be especially careful with the following common household items: • Portable heaters. Never leave one in a room unattended. Make sure paper and other combustible materials are well away from these units. • Electronics chargers. We all want our computers, tablets and smartphones to charge quickly. The price we pay for that convenience is chargers that pull in a lot of power, making them very hot. Keep them away from combustible material, as well as other wiring. • Smoking materials. Be careful with cigarettes, pipes, cigars and other such items. Bedding and upholstery, which burn slowly and dangerously, are the source of 75% of smoking-related fires. • Candles. Never leave candles unattended for any reason. If you must leave the room, extinguish them. • Flammable liquids. These can include paints, thinners and some brands of cleaning products. Read labels carefully and follow the safety instructions. To paraphrase a famous expression: An ounce of prevention is worth not having to deal with a house fire.
Posts By Date